Friday 17 September 2010

Buskers at Meadowhall for Cancer Research UK

I saw this on Calendar News last night and have done a bit more digging around and found out that a host of Yorkshire musicians are coming together to ‘Sing for Life’ in aid of Cancer Research UK in Meadowhall tomorrow between 1pm and 3pm. I’ll definitely be going down! Here’s the news…..

Thirty Yorkshire based musicians will descend on Meadowhall Shopping Centre in Sheffield and ‘busk’ for shoppers in a bid to raise funds for charity.  The region’s leading performers, including recent Glastonbury stars Elen and the Escapades, will be taking part in support of Cancer Research UK. Other artists performing on the day will include Ryan Spendlove, Rosie Doonan, Gary Stewart, Serious Sam Barret, The Kal and Primary Code.

Wakefield musician Jonny the Firth has been the driving force behind the initiative, working hard to bring together top names for the event.  Jonny said: “Cancer Research UK is a charity that is very close to my heart having lost both my dad and granddad to the disease.  I am also currently the full-time carer for my gran who has been recently diagnosed with lung cancer; and have seen first hand how much heartache this disease can bring to families.

“Over the years the feeling of helplessness is probably what has hurt me the most, hence why I wanted to use my talent and contacts to raise money for Cancer Research UK and help stop other families going through what mine has.  During the course of time I have spoken to all my musician friends about doing something for the charity and everybody has been very supportive – having been touched by the disease in some way themselves. I have also been overwhelmed by the support I have received from Meadowhall and the team at Cancer Research UK – without their support I would not have been able to bring this idea to life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment